Social Media/Cell Phones in Schools: Yes or No

For this weeks blog, I will be discussing the use  of social media and cellular devices in schools. In my personal opinion, I believe that social media and cell phones have no place in the early stages of childhood development. However, as a student gradually matures and becomes more and more responsible, both of these factors may play significant roles in our society today.  It has been proven that social media, as well as the use of cell phones has ruined social interactions. For example, in schools, instead of engaging with each other and participating in class discussions, students may be more reliant on their phones, limiting opportunities for meaningful interpersonal connections and collaboration.

In the module for this week, I watched the documentary “Plugged-In: The Toxicity of Social Media Revealed,” directed by R. Willett, which really dove into the impact that social media plays in all of our lives around the world. One of the important ideas that the documentary highlights is the parallels between social media addiction and substance abuse. By using social media, you are unknowingly creating a false satisfaction in your mind, which ends up seeking constant validation and satisfaction. This can end up messing up the patterns of your brain especially from exposure at a young age.

In the article “Schools Say No to Cell Phones. But Is It a Smart Move?” , it dives into some of the benefits of social media and cell phones being banned from schools. In the article, it says that critics of cell phone bans might emphasize the educational potential of cell phones as tools for research, communication, and learning. They may argue that instead of outright bans, schools should focus on teaching students responsible and productive use of technology. Additionally, some critics may highlight certain situations, as not all students have access to the same resources outside of school. (Klein, 2019)

Overall, while I believe that cell phones and social media can have educational value when used responsibly and in moderation, the potential risks and drawbacks associated with their presence in schools are often not worth it.  Many educators and policymakers strive to create clear policies and guidelines that can positively promote responsible technology use and minimize disruptions to the learning environment.

References

Klein, A. (2019, September 6). Schools say no to cell phones. But is it a smart move?

Willett, R. (Director). (2019). Plugged-In: The Toxicity of Social Media Revealed.

One thought on “Social Media/Cell Phones in Schools: Yes or No”

1. Hi Ryan! Your blog post is very well written. I agree that social media and cell phones should not be introduced. I also agree that social media and technology within the classroom and also during day to day life can have many benefits. However, especially in the classroom, it should be very limited. In the classroom technology provides a massive resource of knowledge to both students and educators. It can provide interactive activities that help students learn. But this should be limited. I do not like that after Covid many schools continue to have students use their own laptops at their desks rather than writing on worksheets or in notebooks. Relating to what you mentioned about it affecting social interactions, the laptops create an even larger divide in student interaction in the classrooms. In the higher level such as high school, cell phones are useful for group projects and keeping in contact with friends but should be considerably limited beyond that. Overall I agree with your argument and think you made good points in your blog!