Home / School Connection

Part 1: As we look more closely into our communities, it is important to create positive connections between both the students home, and the place of education. This week, we dove more closely into how establishing healthy parent-teacher relationships can go a long way into building safe environments by watching videos and reading interesting articles. Including the families in school activities and maintaining effective communication are two ways of achieving this. Through the implementation of an inclusive, transparent, and respectful culture, educators and parents can establish an uplifting and positively structured  atmosphere for all students.

In one of the articles from the module, we are taught 20 important tips for developing and possibly nurturing parents-student relationships. (Aguilar, 2011) teaches us interesting and useful tips such as leading conversations with good news and also communicating awareness to your class about the different kinds of families.

One of the videos we had to watch was the video “9 Ways to Communicate with Parents for Teacher”.  Again, this video steadily reinforces more ways that was a teachers can communicate with our parents. As previously mentioned before, promoting the quality of how you communicate with parents of students can help them succeed in the classroom. Not every parent or teacher will benefit from every method, so it’s critical to accept that one thing doesn’t work for everyone and keep trying different approaches until you find one that works best for everyone.

This past month, I was able to attend the board of education meeting on April 17th, 2024. I think it was important for me to be able to go and see members of my community work together to try and make our community a special place to live. The meeting mostly discussed revenue and salary based issues, as well as the passing and motioning of many different agendas. I thought I wouldn’t find the meeting interesting, but I think it is important for all people to go at least once, and see the people that are trying to make the community better for us.

Part 2

Lastly, I truly believe that communicating with families is super important to the classroom. As an elementary school teacher, showing parents your commitment to educating their students is crucial in building strong relationships.

For starters, when starting a new school year, possibly sending a welcome email just describing your plans for the year and putting some of the parents stress at ease. Another important idea for communicating with parents is consistent communication throughout the entirety of the school year. Parents will be able to know how their student is doing in all aspect of schooling at all times.

References

Aguilar, E. (2011, September 23). 20 Tips for Developing Positive Relationships with Parents. Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/blog/20-tips-developing-positive-relationships-parents-elena-aguilarLinks to an external site.

https://www.nea.org/professional-excellence/student-engagement/tools-tips/communicating-ell-families-10-strategies Links to an external site.

2 thoughts on “Home / School Connection”

1. Hi Ryan, amazing blog! I liked how you thoroughly explained how parent communication and parents student relationships are very crucial. You mentioned that starting conversation with good news is a good tip to help with better communication. I think this is a very helpful tip especially for first time teachers. It is a completely different experience when you are face to face with a parent and is trying to maintain a good conversation. Since parents love to hear about their childs achievement, i think it would be a good idea to and trying to figure out the best ways to comunicate with parents.

2. (Please excuse my initial response I accidentally submitted my comment before I could finish it.)
    -Hi Ryan, amazing blog! I liked how you thoroughly explained how parent communication and parents student relationships are very crucial. You mentioned that starting conversation with good news is a good tip to help with better communication. I think this is a very helpful tip especially for first time teachers. It is a completely different experience when you are face to face with a parent and are trying to maintain a good conversation. Since parents love to hear about their child’s achievement, I think it would be a good idea to first speak on the child’s academic success. You also mention how not every communication method may work for a parent or teacher, What communication method did you find was best for you to use in your own classroom? I learned about using online apps to get in contact with parents and I definitely believe this method will work best for me as a future educator.