Blog week #4: Mental Psychosis

For this weeks blog, I was given the task to talk about and further discuss the main ideas of mental health, and why it is important. A significant childhood trauma can take many different forms, including abuse, neglect, natural disasters, experiencing or witnessing violence, and up to two thirds of children in the United States may experience one of those following things. Perhaps the biggest public health concern affecting our kids now is trauma. Students who have experienced trauma are particularly likely to struggle with self-control, have negative thoughts,  and who are also hypervigilant. Many may find it difficult to trust adults, and engage in inappropriate social interactions. Many students may lack the skills necessary to communicate their feelings in a healthy way, expressing their distress instead through avoidance, aggression, shutting down, or other unsettling behaviors. In some situations, educators don’t know what’s causing the student’s behavior, these actions can come across as hostile, which can result in miscommunication, ineffective interventions, and lost instructional time. With that being said, I did my slide on the disorder “Psychosis”. One of the most important thing I learned is that psychosis is more of a broader term for many well known disorders such as severe depression. schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and schizoaffective disorder.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1i4ctpdFa7gGzEd-iXUIQDCYlkEdqxW8Pp5Sab5QslXE/edit?usp=sharing

References

Cardoza, K. (2016). For kids, anxiety about school can feel like ‘being chased by a lion’.  NPREd. Links to an external site.

Conditions. (n.d.). National Alliance on Mental Health.